Home Escape Plan Challenge for Kids
The Schaumburg Fire Department is hosting the Home Escape Plan Challenge now through June 1 to encourage families to create and practice home escape plans.
The contest is open to Village of Schaumburg residents between the ages of 6-12 years old. Participants can enter by submitting either a 2-4 minute video or a 150-300 word essay with 6-8 photos. All entries should detail the steps you and your family took to create a home escape plan and also demonstrate how the whole family participated in a practice drill and met outside at the designated safe meeting place. Make sure to show the map you created containing labels for the two ways out of every room as well as the location of your safe meeting place.
• All entries should be emailed to Public Education Coordinator Lisa Bezella at email@example.com by noon on June 1, 2020.
• Videos should be 2-4 minutes in length in either .mp4 or .wmv format. Video submissions over 8MB will not be accepted by email. Larger videos should be uploaded to Google Drive or other file sharing services with a link to the video file included in the email entry.
• Essays should be 150-300 words and submitted in a Word .doc file. Entries should include 6-8 photos attached in .jpg format at least 100KB in size each.
• All entries must include name, age, address and phone number in the email submission.
• Limit one entry per person. Open to Schaumburg residents only ages 6-12.
The Fire Department’s Public Education Team will pick the winning submission and the winner will receive special recognition and a free dinner for the family from a local restaurant.
For more information about the Home Escape Plan Challenge, including entry details and tips on how to create a home escape plan, visit the village's website or contact Lisa Bezella at (847) 923-6708.