A permit is required when installing or replacing sidewalks and/or stoops. If you have hired a contractor to perform the work, they must obtain a Contractor's Business License with the village before a permit can be issued.
Questions can be directed to the Permitting Division of the Community Development Department at 847.923.4420.
Current Fee: Residential $50; Commercial $260
- Village permit application - residential
- Application shall include proposed work dimensions and construction valuation
- 2 copies of your plat of survey
Proposed work shall be drawn and clearly dimensioned on the survey.
Sub base/rough inspection
Inspections can be scheduled up to 4pm the business day prior to the requested inspection date by contacting the Permitting Division of the Community Development Department at 847.923.4420.
- 4 inches concrete over 4 inches of compacted base.
- 6 bag mix-drive concrete.
- Minimum walk width is 3 feet.
- Minimum stoop width and depth is 3 feet
- Flashing where required by code
- Maximum side yard walk width shall be 5 feet.
- Pitch of flat work shall be away from structure.
- 3/8 inch maximum variable on rise or run
- guardrail required if stoop is over 30 inches above grade
- handrails-38 inches high max. space between balusters 4 inches.
- Grippable hand rail required for stairs with 4 or more rises, 34-38 above
- Stair nose
For residential - maximum rise 7-3/4 inch minimum run 10 inches
For commercial - maximum rise 7 inch minimum run 11 inches
- Total front yard coverage shall not exceed 40 percent of the front yard
- Total rear yard coverage shall not exceed 40 percent of rear yard
- Pavers must be installed per manufacturers specs. Airborne dust must be suppressed with water or alternative method