If you are planning to remodel your kitchen, a permit is required. An electrical permit is also required for the electrical work to be performed. Permits are not required for countertop replacement, refacing of existing cabinets or the replacement of cabinets same as existing layout with no electrical or plumbing changes. If you have hired a contractor(s) to perform the work, they must obtain a Contractor's Business License with the village before a permit can be issued.
Questions can be directed to the Permitting Division of the Community Development Department at 847.923.4420.
Current Fee (Dependent on scope of work)
- Major Alteration $620
- Intermediate Alteration $320
- Minor Alteration $78
- Village permit application- residential
- Electrical permit application if required.
- 2 sets of drawings to include the following information:
- Simple 1/4 inch equals 1 foot floor plan is preferred.
- Floor plan to show existing and proposed walls indicating if any existing load bearing walls will be removed and the use of all adjoining rooms. Additional plans may be required if bearing walls will be removed or relocated.
- New and existing windows. Additional plans will be required if new windows are to be installed or existing windows resized.
- Indicate location of all electrical receptacles and switches. All kitchen receptacles shall be 20 amp GFCI protected and located so that no point is more than 24 inches from a receptacle outlet. Disconnect switches for disposal and dishwasher are required. All ceiling receptacles shall be fan rated. An electrical permit application must be submitted.
- Details of kitchen cabinet layout.
- Details of appliance layout.
- List materials used on finish floor.
- Rough plumbing, mechanical, electrical and framing
- Insulation inspection
- Final plumbing, mechanical, electrical and framing
Inspections can be scheduled up to 4pm the business day prior to the requested inspection date by contacting the Permitting Division of the Community Development Department at 847.923.4420.