Includes: Permanent and Stationary Fire Pits, Prefabricated Fire Pits, Chimineas, Outdoor Fire Places, and Fire Rings
As of October 11, 2016, the Village has adopted modified permitting requirements for these types of outdoor burning devices. Due to fire safety concerns, a separate plan review, Patio/Fire Pit permit, and inspection are required for this type of construction/installation.
Permanent or Stationary Fire Pits
- Must be thirty-six inches (36") or less in diameter, and twenty-four inches (24") or less in height, and cannot be installed closer than fifteen feet (15') from all property lines and from all designated structures and combustibles on the lot;
- Require a pre-poured compacted sub base and forms inspections;
- Require a final inspection after work is completed and back-filled;
- Additional operational requirements and restrictions are contained in Section 157.02 of the Village Code; and
- Prefabricated portable fire pits and chimineas, etc., do not require a permit or inspection, but have operational restrictions as well.
For specific permit requirements, please call the Permitting Services Division of the Community Development Department at 847-923-4420 or refer to Section 91 of the Village Code.
Click here for Fire Pit Ordinance (No. 16-097)