If you are remodeling your bathroom, a permit is required. Permits are not required for countertop replacement, refacing of existing cabinets or replacement of cabinets same as existing layout with no electrical or plumbing changes. However, a permit may be required whenever bathroom cabinets are replaced or added. If you have hired a contractor(s) to perform the work, they must obtain a Contractor's Business License with the village before a permit can be issued.
If you have any questions, please contact the Permitting Division of the Community Development Department at 847.923.4420.
Current Fee (Dependent on scope of work)
- Major Alteration $620
- Intermediate Alteration $320
- Minor Alteration $78
- Village permit application- residential
- If electrical work will be performed, an electrical permit application is required.
- 2 sets of drawings to include the following:
- Simple 1/4 inch equals 1 foot floor plan is preferred
- Show existing and proposed walls indicating if any existing load bearing walls will be removed and the use of all adjoining rooms/areas. Please note that additional plans may be required if bearing wall will be removed or relocated.
- New and existing windows. Please note that additional plans may be required if new windows will be installed or if existing windows will be re-sized.
- Show location of all electrical receptacles and switches. All bathroom receptacles must be 20 amp GFCI protected.
- Details of cabinet layout.
- Details of fixture layout.
- List of materials used on finish floor.
- Details of piping waste and supply.
- Field verify code compliance of plumbing and electrical prior to start of project by setting up a Meeting on Site once the permit is issued
- Rough plumbing, mechanical, electrical, and framing
- Insulation inspection
- Final plumbing, mechanical, electrical and framing
Inspections can be scheduled up to 4pm the business day prior to the requested inspection date by contacting the Permitting Division of the Community Development Department at 847.923.4420.